Information for Residents on Trash Removal, Power & Gas Restoration and Parking

Hoboken, NJ - Wednesday, November 7th, 2012

Tonight’s City Council Meeting will be rescheduled to Tuesday, November 13 at 7pm due to the weather.

The City has been running 8 to 10 extra garbage trucks every day in addition to the 3 regular trucks in order to deal with the overwhelming quantities of trash. Bobcats and other heavy equipment are being added to deal with the large amounts of trash. At the moment, residents are asked to postpone placing any more trash outside until the impending storm has passed. Further, they are asked delay throwing out bulk items if possible until crews are able to catch up with trash removal. All streets have had trash pickup, however large amounts of garbage continue to be placed on the curb immediately following each pickup as sidewalk space becomes available. If an area requires additional service, please submit a “trash” request via

If you are gutting your apartment, please apply for a container permit:

Residents are asked to place any storm-generated debris on the public right-of-way: the area of residential property that extends from the street to the sidewalk, ditch, utility pole or easement.

Do not place debris near a water meter vault, fire hydrant or any other above-ground utility. Only debris placed on the public right-of-way will be eligible for collection until further notice. Please follow the normal garbage and recycling pickup schedule. No hazardous waste (including paint). No electronics.

If all debris is not picked up during the initial pass, please continue to push remaining debris to the right-of-way for collection on subsequent passes.

Due to the impending storm, the mobile truck providing the phone lines for the Utility Help Line will be relocated and will no longer be operational. If you are without power and/or gas, your home or business may not be able to accept the service, and until it is certified as safe, PSE&G will not restore service. If you still do not have power, or if PSE&G has red tagged your home and shut off gas, please follow this process after calling PSE&G at 800-436-7734:

  1. Call a licensed electrician (power) or plumber (gas) – below is a list of contractors that have worked with our office that you may want to consider contacting if you do not have a contractor.


  1. After they complete an inspection and make any necessary repairs, they will let our construction office know (201-420-2066), who will then let PSE&G know to restore power or gas. The contractors on the list are all familiar with the process and our construction office. Due to the emergency nature of the situation, we have cut the red tape and paperwork typically involved in this process to make sure power and gas can be restored as quickly as possible.

The contractors have been instructed to immediately inform our Construction Code Office once you have been cleared to receive service. Once our construction office receives word that your home has been inspected and is safe, they immediately contact PSE&G to instruct them to restore service.

NOTE: We are providing this partial list only to facilitate connecting residents as quickly as possible to services needed to restore gas and electricity. This partial list of contractors is not affiliated, endorsed, or approved by the City in any way, nor does the City make any representation or warranties, express or otherwise, in connection with the quality of the services any of them may provide. Residents may use any state licensed plumber or electrician. Licensed contractors who wish to be added to this public list may contact the Construction Office at 201-420-2066.

Click here for a list of contractors.

All parking regulations are suspended through the end of Monday, November 12 (11:59pm). Parking enforcement will resume on Tuesday, November 13 at 12:00am.

Garage B (2nd St. between River St. and Hudson St) & D (215 Hudson St) are open to the general public – normal rates apply ($5/day through Friday for residential permits only). All residential permit cars must be moved out of the garage by Friday, November 9th at 6pm. The Midtown Garage (HUMC) is closed until further notice except for monthly and hospital employees.

If your car was damaged in the flood
All damaged cars must be towed by Monday, November 12.

If you rent a car
You cannot transfer your residential sticker or license plates to a rental car. You must apply for a temporary permit.

If you buy a new car
You cannot switch the permit unless the new vehicle is registered with the Parking Utility.

If you buy a new car with temporary plates
You must apply for a temporary permit. You cannot switch your permit to a temporary plate.

Buying a car is expensive, owning a car in Hoboken is a burden. If you don’t drive to work, it’s probably cheaper to use Hoboken Corner Cars (car-sharing) instead of owning a car. Information and sign-up link can be found here:

All permits and changes can be made through or at the HPU office in the basement of City Hall.

Get the latest Hoboken news:
Email & text updates | Facebook | Twitter | RSS