Parking Towing & Boots
Per Hoboken City Code, vehicles parked in violation of posted signs and/or local ordinances may be summonsed, booted, and/or towed. If your vehicle has been booted, or if you believe your vehicle may have been towed, please follow the procedures below.
If your vehicle has been booted, follow the instructions on the boot notice placed on your windshield.
- Call 1-877-835-3658
- Pay the fine over the phone*
- Enter the auto release code
- Return the boot to Garage “D” at 215 Hudson Street
* Please note that if you are physically unable to lift the boot, you may request assistance from City employees when making the phone call to release the boot.
As a result of contracting law requirements and to provide redundancy and additional resources in cases of major storms, the City has transitioned to a rotating towing system as of November 1, 2012 that uses four towing contractors: Mile Square Towing in Hoboken, Logan Towing and Truchan Towing in Jersey City, and Johns Main Towing in North Bergen. Vehicles will be towed by each of the four contractors on a rotating business to their respective locations.
The new procedures for retrieving a towed vehicle have been significantly simplified, eliminate multiple back and forth trips between the tow yard and Police Department, and uses a single point of payment. By providing a driver’s license, the registration and insurance information can be retrieved without the need for additional back and forth trips as was previously necessary. For those taking a Hoboken taxi to a tow yard, the City is now offsetting the full cost of the fare, so long as a receipt is provided by the taxi driver.
If you believe your vehicle has been towed, please follow the following steps:
- Call (201) 653-1919 (Parking Utility) or 201-420-2100 (Police Department) to confirm your vehicle has been towed and the name/address of the tow yard.
- If you take a taxi to the tow yard, pay the fare and request a receipt. Regular taxi fares to the four towing companies are: Mile Square Towing: $5, John’s Main Auto Body: $17, Logan Towing: $21, Truchan Brothers: $23. The receipt must indicate the date, time, cost, taxi number and driver name.
- Present your drivers license to the tow yard and if applicable, the taxi receipt.
- The cost of your fare (up to the amounts listed above) will be deducted from the towing fee with a valid receipt.
Mile Square Towing
1520 Jefferson St
Hoboken, NJ 07030
Phone: (201) 217-3133
Johns Main Towing
1445 Union Turnpike
North Bergen, N.J. 07047
45 Lewis Ave.
Jersey City, N.J. 07506
626-630 Communipaw Ave
Jersey City, N.J. 07304
Boot & Tow Refunds
Any individual may choose to contest a summons and boot/tow with the Hoboken Municipal Court. If a summons is contested in court, then individuals may subsequently request consideration by HPU’s Board of Reviews for a refund. To begin this process, please complete a “Request for Special Consideration” form here.